I’ve been making websites and software for the web since 1996, and have been credited with creating several software features web designers and developers take for granted today. I’m the founder of Nine Labs, an experience and strategy consultancy, President of the Atlanta Web Design Group, creator of Web Afternoon, a mentor at the Advanced Technology Development Center at Georgia Tech, and serve on the advisory board at The Creative Circus.
Before all that, I was the VP of Operations at CoffeeCup Software. For 14 years I helped grow the company from a fledgling startup to a multi-national web software company. CoffeeCup is still family to me. You should try their stuff. It’s great.
My earlier years were full of playing music and working with bands as a drummer and sound guy. At one point I ‘ran sound’ for some pretty good rock-and-roll bands by way of a company I founded called 12tone Audio. During that time I was also involved with some studio and live recording projects. That was a very fun era of my life and sometimes I miss it dearly.
These are a few of the things that guide my daily work and life. I’m not sure of the original source of some of these gems, and certainly don’t take credit for coining them myself (in no particular order):
- Handle it once.
- Leap! The net will appear
- Form follows function.
- If you’re not proud of it, don’t serve it.
- Know your strengths, and weaknesses
- Be aware of what is not obvious
- Do not do anything useless
- Find the simplest way it can possibly work.
- Never ask anyone to do anything you are not willing to do yourself.
- There is an answer for everything if you ask the right questions.
- “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.” — Shakespeare