Having worked on the web since 1995, I’ve learned a few things. I talk about the intersection of design and business in the digital world.
“A dynamic and insightful speaker who helps your organization understand the importance of design for your business in the digital age.”
- Design for Humans Designing things to solve human problems means understanding our cognitive biases and talking to real humans. This talk will show you some common pitfalls and discusses tools that help uncover what the humans you’re designing for really want.
- Redesign Your Design Thinking: Design is beautiful and beautiful things are well-designed. While this is true, it isn’t the whole truth—aesthetics definitely are NOT everything. Sometimes the best design isn’t what you think, and we need to leave our design aesthetic ego at the door and focus on positive outcomes for the user. This talk will challenge your assumptions about what great design is, and discuss ideas about how we can be better designers by focusing on process, function, and outcomes instead of visuals.
- Digital Fluency and User Experience: a look at the idea of digital fluency and how different levels of understanding can impact experience in ways we might not have considered before; some of the psychology behind how fluency influences judgement and perception of digital experiences, and how we can approach experience design to build meaningful connections with the people who use our creations.
- Mobile Commerce Mistakes: More people use a mobile or tablet device than ever before. These 5 common mistakes can make or break the shopping experience leading to lost revenue and an erosion of trust in your brand.
- Design for Business: Many companies are so full of enthusiasm for their idea that they overlook the fundamentals of design and its importance in building great products, services, and businesses. This talk covers the core design principals that Founders and CEO’s need to consider from the beginning.
“This was my favorite talk. It was informative and he shared a lot of great resources and information. Also very social media friendly. J is an excellent speaker and I will take more of his sessions in the future.”
— Attendee at Digital Summit
Some of the Events Where I’ve Spoken
- GeekEnd – January 20, 2017 – Savannah, GA
- LaunchJourney – October 14-16, 2016 – New York, NY
- Converge SE 2016 – April 13-15, 2016 – Columbia, SC
- Constructive Disruption – March 10, 2016 – Tallin, Estonia
- Prototypes, Process, and Play – August 6-7, 2015 – Chicago, IL
- Web Visions Chicago – September 25-26, 2014 – Chicago, IL
- Blend Conference – September 11-13, 2014 – Charlotte, NC
- Digital Summit – May 20-21 – Atlanta, GA
- Web Visions Portland – May 7-9, 2014 – Portland, OR
- Converge SE – May 1-3, 2014 – Columbia, SC
- Great Wide Open – April 2-3, 2014 – Atlanta, GA
- Converge FL – September 12-13, 2013 – Jacksonville, FL
- Summer Startup Academy – June 25, 2013 – Atlanta, GA
- WebVisions – May 22-24, 2013 – Portland, OR
- Remix South – October 19th-20th, 2012 – Atlanta, GA
- Digital Summit – May 9th, 2012 – Atlanta, GA
- Web Visions – October 25th 2011 – Atlanta, GA